跳到主要內容區塊
:::
關閉視窗 搜尋
  • 日期:
  • 每頁: 
  • 新聞類別:
:::
臉書社團「臺灣人在空中」版聚 旅外僑胞齊聚臺灣 08:40 放寒假了!僑委會叮嚀僑生同學注意健康、加強防疫 08:00 跟著臺北天文館遊火星 搭乘宇宙列車探險趣! 08:00 疫情加速催生 HTC VIVE將推虛擬演唱會平台 08:00 總統:中央挹注資源及國家級技術實力 嘉義會成為全國無人機發展最完整的聚落 07:00 因應醫院感染事件 指揮中心持續強化相關防治作為 啟動部桃專案 07:00 「藥」安全「藥」健康!藥品回收要把握六步驟 07:00 樹林河濱公園沐心池開放 新北金城武樹作陪乘涼 06:00 國發會超前部署因應疫後國際情勢變局 龔明鑫:維持良好經濟表現,擴大產業對外布局 06:00 37歲黃國霖戰勝寒流 贏得蓮霧王 05:00

No more short-term contract extensions for migrant workers: MOL

2020-11-25  English News

Taipei, Nov. 24 (CNA) The Ministry of Labor (MOL) on Monday announced the end of a program launched earlier this year, amid the COVID-19 pandemic, that enabled employers of migrant workers to apply for short-term contract extensions.

The MOL launched the program in May to allow employers to apply for three-to-six-month contract extensions for migrant workers whose contracts were set to expire, with many countries closing their borders to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. As a result, many migrant workers were unable to return to their home countries.

The measure was also intended to reduce cross-border travel during the pandemic.

The program was extended in July due to high demand.

On Monday, the MOL said it was ending the program, with immediate effect

The decision was made after a review showed such short-term extensions were increasing the burden on both employers and the MOL, according to Hsueh Chien-chung, a section chief at the MOL's Workforce Development Agency (WDA).

The decision will normalize employee-employer relations and streamline administrative procedures, he said.

In addition, many countries are now reopening their borders, making it easier for migrant workers to travel, according to Hsueh.

Since the program was launched in May, 1,989 applications had been made as of Nov. 15. Most of the applicants were made on behalf of migrant workers from the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam, according to the WDA.

gotop